Coding to interfaces & tools

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Wed Jul 20 22:14:38 CEST 2005

I've removed all references to KisView and KisDoc from our tools today, but
that made me think... Clarence Dang once said he wanted to use Krita as the
core library for kolourpaint -- and indeed, we should take care to prepare
for a separation between something I will provisionally call "libkrita" and
another thing, provisionally called "kritapart". The former should not depend
on KOffice, and plugins and so on should not depend on the latter. That means
that we should avoid, like the plague, referencing KisView or KisDoc and any
other KOffice libs derived classes in our plugins, but use the
KisCanvasSubject, KisCanvasObserver, KisUndoAdapter and similar interfaces
instead.

I'm not quite sure when & where to administer the cut and reorganize our
source tree, but it will come, one day. Let's code to interfaces, not
implementations -- it would make Patrick Julien very happy.