Layer locking

Alan Horkan horkana at maths.tcd.ie
Wed Jul 20 13:23:47 CEST 2005

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:

> Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 22:45:29 +0200
> From: Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org>
> To: "Krayon (KImageShop)" <kimageshop at kde.org>
> Subject: Layer locking
>
> A usability question... Should it be possible to do stuff with the selection
> of a locked layer, or not?

The purpose of Locking is to protect a layer from unintentional
alterations.  You should be able to copy the layer and other non
destructive actions like that.  (I think you might be allowed change the
layer visibility and stack position as well but I'm not sure.)

Mid way down this page includes a short descriptoin of layer locking in
Adobe Photoshop
http://www.informit.com/guides/content.asp?g=photoshop&seqNum=32&rl=1
and I think it helps gives a better idea of what each type of
locking was intended to achieve.

As always I recommend comparisons to other products and doing the same or
better.

Hope that helps.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan