Plugins and Colorspaces

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Mon Jul 4 14:53:59 CEST 2005

On Monday 04 July 2005 14:38, Michael Thaler wrote:
> Hello,
>
> what do you think about each plugin having a list with colorspaces it
> supports, so that Krita can enable only those plugins that actually support
> an layer with a given colorspace. For example, it would be really hard to
> make the oilpaint filter work with a watercolor layer and I think it does
> not even make any sense.

It could be a very cool effect -- making a painting blobby and wet. In any
case, the oilpaint filter is up for a rewrite because it's too colorspace
dependent. The problem with the current watercolor layer is that it's not
possible to map rgb colors to watercolor colors.

> Usability-wise it would be good if plugins that
> are not usefull with a layer are not shown. Is this possible?

Yes, we should have such a mechanism. It should be extended to tools and
paintops, too, and if we're enabling and disabling parts of the gui anyway,
we should implement layer locking, too. It's related to a discussion Casper
and I have had recently.

I've been thinking about this before, but I still haven't found an acceptable
design. It's a two-way problem, because a filter might be supported by a
colorspace that didn't yet exist when the filter was written. Maybe a kind of
handshake or something, where colormodels advertise their supported
functionality andd filters advertise the functionality needed:

on layer activate
	for all filters
		for all methods needed by filter
			if colorspace does not support method
				disable filter
			else
				enable filter
	for all tools
		ditto
	for all paintops
		ditto

In those cases where the base colorspace class contains everything needed
for a filter to function, but the derived colorspace class doesn't, we need
to warn the user when he starts the filter that his data will be converted to
QColor and back.