iterators

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Wed Jan 19 14:05:36 CET 2005

On Wednesday 19 January 2005 13:55, Casper Boemann wrote:

> Now if someone can tell me how to use the STL way for 2D, I'm open to
> changing the basic iterators to the STL way, but I still feel that the
> shown subclassing would be a good idea. So that either isDone() og STL is
> used in all iterators.

There are whole papers written about how to do the STL style iterators with 2D
structures (notably by Ulrich Koethe, see
http://kogs-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/~koethe/vigra), and the solutions
are never quite satisfactory.

We also seldom use our iterators in the STL way -- i.e, define an algorithm
that takes an iterator as a parameter. Our way is more to create the
iterators in the code and use them as an effcient, albeit complicated loop.

So I don't think that we need to keep doing it the STL way, and that we might
was well do what's most convenient for our purposes: I think your suggestions
are spot on, and I'm waiting with bated breath and eager anticipation :-).