toolbox taxonomy

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Thu Feb 3 11:59:01 CET 2005

On Thursday 03 February 2005 11:30, Casper Boemann wrote:

> YES, although "freehand" tool may not be the best word. Freehand is better
> reserved for the guide that isn't there. Paint isn't that much better a
> word since drawing isn't painting (or is it?). But that is the word we use
> internally as in PaintOp. Don't know which is the better, but for the
> toolbox we should use icons anyway.

How about:

A toolbar with
* a toggle button for selection/canvas
* separator
* a row of exclusive toggles for 'guides' -- freehand, line, ellipse,
rectangle, magic wand, feather etc. The fillable shapes are duplicated, one
for empty, one for filled, like in Kolourpaint.

That takes care of the first problem.

Then we need a toolbar for the miscellaneous tools -- zoom, rotate, crop,
fill.

We might combine all this in one toolbox with separators like Karbon; or keep
different standard KDE toolbars.

What happens when you select the fill tool depends on what chosen in the list
of possible fills types, see below.

What happens when you select a 'guide' (that name clashes with the guides you
can drag from the rulers) depends on what you select from the QToolBox based
toolbox with drawers. Painting, drawing, chalking, airbrushing or knifing...

There is still an option sheet for the tools, with stuff like opacity,
composite op etc.

Therrre  will be an option sheet for the other stuff, the paint ops that make
the difference between brush & pen etc.; here we get airbrush rate etc. If
the paint op supports it, you can choose a brush shape from the current brush
box.

> Yes and yes. The reason I included it was you own comment in an earlier
> mail and that fill with no guide could be floodfill, and fill with a rect
> guide could be rectfill and so on. But you are indeed right that it doesn't
> fit nicely in some cases.

> I totally agree, so fill should not be catogorized together with the other
> tools/paintops.

Except that having a drawer with fill types works solves the problem of
selection between pattern, solid, gradient, autogradient, (autopattern, if we
get one) so very nicely. We could put this list of stuff in a separate
docker... We really need something to allow us to drag tabs from docker to
docker.

> So you agree that the idea of guides (or geometric helpers or whatever we
> call them) are a good idea?

Yes. The naming needs work, though.

> >We don't have real brushes yet, just potato stamps in an aliased and
> >anti-aliased variety... It's going to be a challenge to fit real brushes
> > in Krita's current architecture, too :-(.
>
> nice to dream about them though

Yes, and they may be closer than we think. We will need something clever to
use with the Wet & Sticky paint model I'm working on. And even with Krita's
current architecture it should be relatively easy to provide the same kind of
brushes that Corel Painter has.