Colorspaces names scheme

Cyrille Berger cberger at cberger.net
Sat Dec 31 18:56:19 CET 2005

Hi,
I have notice some problems with the way or colorspace are named, currently we
have : RGBA, RGBA16, CMYK, CMYKA16, LABA (etc...)

Some thoughts about it :
1) CMYK should be named CMYKA
2) LABA is a 16bits channels whereas all other colorspaces without numbers are
8bits

I suggest that in the name we allways include the depth meaning RGBA should be
renamed RGBA8 and LABA renamed LABA16 (etc...). And we have also a difference
between colorspaces which used unsigned (U), signed (I) or float (F), I think
it might be a good idea to add the type of the channel then RGBA become
RGBA8U LABA -> LABA16U etc... (I know it can become even more complicated in
the future, when colorspaces will have different data type for each channel,
but maybe someone will have a better idea)

any opinions ? If you agree I will do the change during next week.

--
--- Cyrille Berger ---