the future of histogram

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Thu Aug 11 15:41:39 CEST 2005

On Thursday 11 August 2005 15:35, Casper Boemann wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm about to redesign histogram.
>
> I think that 256 bins would be enough in all cases, so I intend to do away
> with the bin iterator in the histogram class and just return an array of
> 256 bins.

I think I agree with this.

> Also I need to make it colorspace independent and make histogram of each
> channel

That's easy with the channel info object...

> and also be able to calculate a histogram of things like intensity
> and hue.

But that's harder...

> This is more difficult so if anyone has a brilliant idea..
>
> perhaps it should go into the colorspace or perhaps a simpler solution
> exists?

You're talking a conversion here anyway, and a downscaling to 8-bits
resolution, so you could simple convert the data to 8-bits rgb, and then to
hiv or hsv for the histogram. It's only a representation, and it's a given
that it will have a low resolution.

However, I think we should ask Hal Engel about this: maybe we are all wrong.