usability feedback.

Alan Horkan horkana at maths.tcd.ie
Sat Aug 6 17:30:36 CEST 2005

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:

> Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 20:39:25 +0200
> From: Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org>
> To: "Krayon (KImageShop)" <kimageshop at kde.org>
> Subject: Re: usability feedback.
>
> On Friday 05 August 2005 20:30, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
>
> > Well -- if you come up with a good design for a dialog, I'd be happy to
> > take it into consideration. If you use Qt Designer to design the dialog,
> > we'll probably have the quickest results.

Photoshop uses
View
  New Guide...
  Clear Guides

(If the mailing list lets it through) Find attached a screenshot of the
Guides Dailog from Adobe Photoshop 7

> Okay... I found the dialog in Photoshop. It looks almost too simple :-).

It is too simple.
It displays the Units directly in the text entry instead of providing
another drop down to allow you to select exactly the type of units
you want (including things like 50%).

The scripts I wrote for another graphics program allow you to insert more
than one Guide at at time but to be honest I think I was probably working
around the fact that I didn't particularly like how they implemented Grid.
(If I recall corectly Corel Painter has a very fancey 3D perspective grid,
no need for Guides there unless you really want them.)

Far as I can tell most programs other than Photoshop do not bother to
provide menu items for adding controlling guides and require you to add
them from the Rulers and only provide a single menu item to enable/disable
guides.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

Inkscape http://inkscape.org