usability feedback.

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Fri Aug 5 20:30:31 CEST 2005

On Friday 05 August 2005 18:46, Alan Horkan wrote:

> Krita and Koffice have a wonderful advantage, they have a system which
> allows users to relatively easily add their own keybindings so it is not
> an absolute necessity to have default keybindings for everything (which
> would be terribly cluttered and make changes and additions difficult later
> on).  It would still be very good to have default keybindings for most
> items particularly for the features a large group of users expect from
> several other programs.

I must say I'm convinced by Mr YouP's discussion of the keybinding to dis- and
reappear the rulers; that's going to go in by default. Anyway, I'm not
satisfied by our rules and will hide them on startup; and make sure we store
the state of the rules in the session settings.

> I consider rulers and guides more useful for techincal drawing and very
> precise graphic design rather than more creative Artwork and something I
> immediately turn off (and prefer to have off by default for the slightly
> cleaner aesthetic and greater screen space.  Karbon 14 has some annoying
> jerking behaviour when turning rules on and off, the whole user interface
> seems to get reconfigured).  I have utterly failed on several occassions
> to convince developers to hide their rulers by default.

See above.

> I also try to entirely avoid manually placing guides as it is crude and
> imprecise.  I prefer to use a dialog that allows me to add them at
> carefully specified postions.  (I have written scripts for another program
> which didn't not include such functionality (menu items/dialogs) for
> guides by default and now includes some of my scripts for adding and
> clearing guides[1].)

Well -- if you come up with a good design for a dialog, I'd be happy to take
it into consideration. If you use Qt Designer to design the dialog, we'll
probably have the quickest results.

> Some programs depend heavily on guides for slicing an image and they do
> not include dedicated tools for slicing and exporting images in a
> streamlined way.  (Allegedly Adobe ImageReady was created because
> Macromedia Fireworks did such a good job of streamlining the process of
> creating Web Graphics including slicing and saving.)

That's probably too much for Krita; I'm not particularly interested in writing
that sort of code.

> As an application primarily dedicated to painting Krita might want to
> encourage some of the KDE graphics applications to provide more web
> oriented image slicing and export functionality if they do not already
> so that Krita can remain more clear and focussed on painting.

Ah.

> I'll try and get back to you about the keyboard shortcuts soon (hopefully
> later today) with a subset of shortcuts common to both Adobe Photoshop
> and Macromedia Fireworks that will hopefully uncontraversial.

looking forward!