usability feedback.

Alan Horkan horkana at maths.tcd.ie
Fri Aug 5 01:16:23 CEST 2005

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005, Thomas Zander wrote:

> Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 18:49:49 +0200
> From: Thomas Zander <zander at kde.org>
> To: kimageshop at kde.org
> Subject: usability feedback.

> I just went through Krita and have a list of simple usability hints you
> guys might want to implement.

Devils is in the details :)

> at the centre of the parent window.  Same with the 'Open Document' dialog
> Same with "Layer -> Layer Properties"
> Same with "Configure -> Configure Krita"
>
> Consider adding 'Control-R' to the 'show ruler' just like in Photoshop.

Call me sceptic but I happen to think that is a horrible waste of a
keybinding for something you shouldn't need to toggle on and off very
often.  Is it really something which artist need to toggle on a regularly
basis?  I'm all for copying the Adobe Photoshop keybindings but it would
be so much better if we had a little more justification for the copying
and don't blindly replicate their mistakes too.  I'll try and check a few
other programs and get back to you on this but you might be kicking
yourself later if you want this keybinding for something more useful.
In case I didn't explain earlier I think it is vitally important to at
least copy the keybindings both Adobe Photoshop and Macromedia Fireworks
share in common, on the basis that they are the most common and therefore
most useful keybindings.

> Consider using 'Control-D' to deselect a selection, just like in
> Photoshop.

Fireworks does that too, definately one to copy.

Wish I had time to go through Krita Paint and do a thorough comparision to
Photoshop and Fireworks and add more keybindings than I have done already.
(and at the same time try to keep Karbon consistent with Krita and maybe
do some analysis of Illustrator and Freehand.) Unfortunately I dont have
the time so I'm very glad you have made the effort to take a look at
Krita.  (Frankly I think asking the artist involved in producing KDE
artwork if they are familiar with Photoshop and Freehand might be a
better approach than me trying to divine which are the most useful
keybindings.)

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

Inkscape http://inkscape.org