usability feedback.

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Thu Aug 4 18:49:49 CEST 2005

I just went through Krita and have a list of simple usability hints you
guys might want to implement.

Please cc any answers as I am not subscribed.

Here it is:
WdgNewImage:
the 'opactity' should have some feedback on what either end means.
Do we have a opacity widget in the color picker?  One that grows
more white or transparent (showing those gray blocks) based on the
input.

Tools:
  the oval tool allows you to do a circle when you press shift.
I'd like to see the shift key give immediate feedback, even when the
user does not move the mouse.
So; drag an oval and then stop dragging, but keep the mouse depressed.
Press shift and see how nothing happens.  You need to move the mouse
a little to see the effect of shift being pressed.

Please add tooltips to the toolbar buttons (IIRC just adding them to the
KActions should be enough

The poly* items that need more then one click (polygon & polyline) have
a bug that they start from a random spot when I make my first click.
I expect the first point to be set on first click and the second on the
second click.  Instead I get a line on the first click.

For those tools (and maybe others) I suggest to print a manual in the
statusbar.
So if I press the lines (3th icon) widget I want to see something like:
"Click to start line"
and when I clicked I want to see:
"Left click for next line segment, or right click to finish"

In Transform tool; if I select another tool, I should get a dialog asking
me to cancel the action.  The idea is that the only way to use the results
of the transform tool is by actually OK-ing the changes.
A dialog like:
   "Sure you want to cancel the Transform" ?
    [Discard] [Apply] [Cancel]

Separate Image dialog;
- - make sure at least one radio button per group is pre selected.
- - remove button group (setVisible(false)) if options are useless, for
example
if there is just one layer.

Make sure the 'New Image' dialog is started with the correct parent;
currently its not started
at the centre of the parent window.  Same with the 'Open Document' dialog
Same with "Layer -> Layer Properties"
Same with "Configure -> Configure Krita"

Consider adding 'Control-R' to the 'show ruler' just like in Photoshop.
Consider using 'Control-D' to deselect a selection, just like in
Photoshop.

Replace both toolbar buttons 'Rotate layer' with 'rotate image'.

Make the zoom tool inverse not only on RMB but also while depressing
'alt'.
Which would ideally show a slightly different pointer.

In the Layers popup-menu the 'level' talks about formost and hindmost,
since the
dialog is about stacking vertically instead of horizontally, I'd use 'top
most' and
'bottom most'

Bugs:
- - using the mouse to use the spinbox for layer-transparency is buggy.
Try to keep your mouse depressed on the arrow down and notice how there
seems to be a loop.  It gets reset often.
- - Switching toolbox items a lot makes the 'View -> Palettes' menu grow.

- --
Thomas Zander