Krita source & library layout reorganization

Bart Coppens kde at bartcoppens.be
Thu Aug 4 15:31:45 CEST 2005

On Thursday 04 August 2005 15:07, Clarence Dang wrote:
> > but from what I understand, this is not really an issue for
> > any BSD-style Qt application since it will link to a GPLed Qt library
>
> I interpret Qt under the QPL to prevent GPL infection of the KolourPaint
> BSD code.  This means I cannot close source the current version of
> KolourPaint (QPL restriction).  However, if anyone were to buy a commerical
> licence from Trolltech, any changes they make to KolourPaint can be closed
> source (BSD allows it, QPL does not apply to changes due to commerical Qt
> licence) so effectively their fork of KolourPaint is closed source.  This
> is not possible if I interpreted Qt under the GPL due to viral nature of
> it.
I always thought it was as follows: you have your BSD KolourPaint. For the
people who link against a free Qt edition, the code in itself becomes GPL,
that is, any derivation they make under the _free_ Qt must be GPL
(compatible?) as well. However, if they should happen to buy a commercial Qt
edition, they can edit your KolourPaint code, link it with the nonfree Qt
edition, and keep their modifications closed. But that's of course my
interpretation of me as a non-lawyer, it's very possible that I'm very wrong
about this (rather complex) issue.