Krita source & library layout reorganization

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Thu Aug 4 14:35:47 CEST 2005

On Thursday 04 August 2005 14:31, Bart Coppens wrote:

> For commercial/closed source software this is however more a problem. The
> question we must ask though, is if we would actually want commercial and/or
> binary plugins and extensions for Krita. I believe it would be a bad idea
> because it would require more care for backward compatibility, ABI issues,
> etc. I don't think we're ready for that yet. As for the future, I still
> believe more in a GPL license for the entire of Krita, but that's a
> personal view of course. There's a nice paper by RMS on this:
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/why-not-lgpl.html
> For the BSD/QPL issues, it may be worth investigating those further. I
> remember there being a kde-legal mailinglist, but I have no idea if that's
> an active list or so.

Krita is almost completely GPL, by the way. I did a quick grep and found only
one LGPL file, colorspace_rgb/composite.h -- and that's mostly unused now
we've got better implementations of the composite functions. I'm with you on
the GPL front, but I know (because it came up during the hackathon) that
Casper isn't that fond of the GPL. Anyway, with John Califf gone awol, it's
going to be hard to do a relicensing, there are still a number of files with
his name on them.