KisPreviewWidget idea

Alan Horkan horkana at maths.tcd.ie
Wed Aug 3 18:38:31 CEST 2005

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005, Cyrille Berger wrote:

> Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 23:32:02 +0200
> From: Cyrille Berger <cyrille.berger at lepi.org>
> To: "Krayon (KImageShop)" <kimageshop at kde.org>
> Subject: KisPreviewWidget idea
>
> Hello,
>
> Here is my proposition for KisPreviewWidget :
> http://lepi.org/~cyb/ideaforpreviewwidget.png

Might it be possible to use toolbars?  Then potentially people could
expand widgets to have labels shown if they really wanted (helps when you
are learning and having dropdowns from the buttons wont look odd).

> So what do the buttons (they should be replace by icons of course :) ) :
> L : autoupdate or not

is this a sticky toggle button (or could it be a checkbox)
having both autoupdate and manual preview seems a little ineligant

> S : switch between original/modified (this button might be put in a corner of
> the image)
> P : display a popup with both the original and the modified version
> Z+/Z- : zoom in/out
> Z : display a popup menu with various zoom possibility (including 100% and
> show all)
>
> And I forgot, the update button :) Anyway the lists of buttons is open for
> discussion.

I expect the old design was heavily influenced by the effect Dialog
from Paint Shop Pro
http://www.jytte.dk/psp8/fur.jpg
http://www.falsing-design.dk/Psp/Baggrunde/Guld%20Baggrund/05.jpg
http://www.jumbo-psp.com/Tutorials/Lesjes/X-mas/Frames/Tartan-Frame/stap2.jpg
http://www.elated.com/tutorials/graphics/psp/cutout_text/images/cutout_dialog.gif
http://the-eaglerose.com/er_motion%20blur.jpg
Screenshots of Paint Shop Pro for your consideration.

I've read comments on this list that you dont particularly like the side
by side previews and it looks from your mockup that you intend to get rid
of them too.  Maximising the window and getting a big side by side preview
I think is a good thing to have and if you are planning on having just one
preview I would encourage you to take another look and play around with
Paint shop pro.  (Unless perhaps the split view feature of Krita could
someone be improved to allow before and after comparisions

Sorry I dont have time to provide a more coherent and well thought out
comment.

- Alan