Fwd: Re: color2gray

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Tue Aug 2 22:15:29 CEST 2005

I've just gotten permission from Sven Olsen and Amy Gooch (yes, one of the
authors of the book on non-photorealistic graphics) to include their rather
innovative rgb->grayscale conversion as a filter in Krita. The results are
quite cool; perhaps not usable for ordinary conversion that should use
profiles and everything, but if you want a grayscale version of your image
with all the detail preserved, this algorithm is the way to go.

The svn archive is at

svn co svn://antares.cs.northwestern.edu/color2gray/trunk/simple_source

The papers & more information is at:

http://www.cs.northwestern.edu/~ago820/color2grey/

If anyone is interested, please feel free to pick it up, with my current todo
it'll be some time before I actually get down to doing this. It also requires
some mathematical insight, I fear :-).