Painting on a temporary layer

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Sat Sep 25 15:28:31 CEST 2004

On Saturday 25 September 2004 14:25, Bart Coppens wrote:
> Because painting with the filters invert and emboss

This is for painting with filters, right? Not for applying filters in general?

> didn't quite work the
> way I expected them to, I decided to let them paint on a temporary layer.

Does that mean that for every paint action that uses a temp layer, a temp
layer is constructed as big as the parent layer? That's an approach that I
first experimented with for ordinary brushes, but which I gave up on because
it was too memory intensive and took too much time, in favour of the dab,
which is a small temp layer as big as the minimal rect around the brush.

> While working it out I found out that the duplicate painting also needs
> this to work like other paint applications, so I made the change there as
> well.

Now we're on the topic, would it be possible to remove the special code for
the duplicate tool in the color strategies? Any ideas?

> The code currently committed does the basic work, however I didn't activate
> it yet because I'm having a problem (actually 2, but the second should be
> more easily fixable). Whatever I try, when I paint or finish painting, the
> image doesn't get updated. I have to manually refresh the view to see the
> result. I tried making the temporary layer visible, setting it active,
> nothing seems to work. Maybe I'm forgetting something trivial to make it
> repaint? The code is in void KisToolFreehand::initPaint.

KisView::updateCanvas() ?

--
Boudewijn Rempt | "Geef mij maar zuurtjes."