File format

Sven Langkamp longamp at reallygood.de
Sun Sep 5 22:58:59 CEST 2004

Boudewijn Rempt wrote:

>On Sunday 05 September 2004 19:42, Cyrille Berger wrote:
>

>>>That would be great -- I'm not sure whether I actually would have time to
>>>work
>>>

>>I thought that OASIS was unadapated for an image manipulation program ?
>>

>There doesn't exist an OASIS standard for raster images yet, which means that
>a proposal has a good chance of being adopted as a basis for further
>consideration. Problem is, I don't have time to create a good proposal.

There are already many good ideas on the Gimp mailing list. They
discussed an XML format for the meta data etc. which uses PNG to store
the image data. That fits very good into the OASIS requirements
(http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=office).

The proposal should not be too much work, because the document and meta
data specs are already done. We should propose this file format to the
Gimp developers and if the want to adopt it I am sure that they will
help to create the proposal.