Krita document mode. Was: Re: Krita broken

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Mon May 31 09:10:29 CEST 2004

On Saturday 01 May 2004 11:36, Michael Thaler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just did a fresh checkout of koffice CVS and compiled everything. If I
> try to open an existing image in krita, I get the following error:
>
> Could not open /path/to/file/name.jpg
>
> Everything else seems to work fine.

I cannot reproduce this at the moment, but if importing existing images is
ever broken, I suspect a broken installation of ImageMagick, which is what
Krita uses.

On the other hand, I'm personally not sure whether the KSpread document model
with multiple images in once document really works for a paint app.

I can see some advantages. We could ename a Krita document to 'scrapbook' or
'sketchbook' and provide some coherenent real-world UI for it (start every
document with thirty pages and put a ring-binder image on the right/left
side). That's an approach that would work very well for an art app. I keep
different paper sketchbooks myself for different subjects. On the other hand,
it's also what a file system is for, organizing files.

And with multiple images in one document, it's easy to code some dynamic link
between images. You could make a certain motif, link a selection of that moif
in your current image, and if you update the motif, the other image is
automatically updated, too. That would be nice, and make this feature
actually usable.

On the other hand, I still get confused myself by the current interface. Start
Krita, open an image -- and I get a new window. Import an image, and it's
inserted into the current window. All quite logical, but it doesn't suit my
own workflow.

--
Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.valdyas.org/fading/index.cgi