Image/Paint libraries (OpenEXR)

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Wed May 26 00:18:42 CEST 2004

On Tuesday 25 May 2004 22:28, Cyrille Berger wrote:
> > I'm afraid so, too, and I really want that release.  On the other hand,
> > the temptation is very great. I've been out of the loop for a month or
> > two, and on coming back I find myself brimming with programming fury.
>
> And it will be really stupid to force ourself to produce an alpha release
> if we are to make a major core modification after. I think we could set
> september as an objective for the modification of the core, and set the
> alpha release for november.

Not, perhaps, _really_ stupid... I'm still very much an amateur, and I hope
that having a relatively feature-complete Krita will teach me what's needed
for a really good paint app. And, of course, a usable alpha will generate
interest, will bring ideas, blow life into the old dog. I mean, Krita is five
years old and has _never_ been released. Better a release now, one that
teaches us what's essential, and then continue.

> that's the reason templates exist ;)

An ugly hack, forced by the broken design of the language, the old curmudgeon
mumbled dis-spiritly.

<...>

> This way the KisTileMgr and all the memory manager and undo manager know
> only a KisTile !

Yes, that's close to what I meant.

> Hum, maybe I haven't well understand, but gradients, patterns, selections
> should come after we have stabilize the core.

That's one way to go: but I really want to have a full-featured (if buggy and
inefficient) app, because that's, in my experience, the best way to go to the
next level. If you've got most of the things working already, after a
fashion, the temptation to lose oneself in pointless rewrites of the core is
much smaller. Krita has had four cores already, and none of them have been
tested in real life. Once the interface, the features and so on are present
and place their demands on the core, it's relatively easy to rework the core
to satisfy those demands. At least, that's my experience...

--
Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.valdyas.org/fading/index.cgi