Image/Paint libraries (OpenEXR)
roger.larsson at norran.net
Tue May 25 00:14:12 CEST 2004
* C++ (but is sometimes very low level)
* Already works
* Corporate support, Industrial Light & Magic (ILM)
* Handle (very) large images.
* Higher dynamic range and color precision than existing 8- and 10-bit image
* Support for 16-bit floating-point, 32-bit floating-point, and 32-bit
integer pixels. The 16-bit floating-point format, called "half", is
compatible with the half data type in NVIDIA's Cg graphics language
and is supported natively on their new GeForce FX and Quadro FX 3D
* Multiple lossless image compression algorithms. Some of the included codecs
can achieve 2:1 lossless compression ratios on images with film grain.
* Extensibility. New compression codecs and image types can easily be added
by extending the C++ classes included in the OpenEXR software
distribution. New image attributes (strings, vectors, integers, etc.) can
be added to OpenEXR image headers without affecting backward compatibility
with existing OpenEXR applications.
* More of a file format than paint library - but if you do not paint using it
from where comes the requirements for the dynamic range?
* Probably not optimized for general paintbox apps (but does any other handle
this dynamic range?)
* Undo/Redo handling?
* License: BSD like with anouncement if used binary
"Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are
* Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
* Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above
copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer
in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the
* Neither the name of Industrial Light & Magic nor the names of
its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived
from this software without specific prior written permission.
- - -"
More information about the kimageshop