Sub-pixel positioning

Adrian Page adrian at pagenet.plus.com
Fri Mar 19 23:18:06 CET 2004

On Friday 19 March 2004 8:35 pm, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Friday 19 March 2004 17:24, Adrian Page wrote:
> > Anyway, during this process I did manage to learn some things about
> > XInput and how we could handle the tablet events in the event filter
> > which would allow us to use the full resolution of the tablet
> > coordinates. That would allow sub-pixel positioning even when the image
> > is viewed at 1:1. We could also use the full pressure resolution rather
> > than Qt's fixed 256 levels.
>
> Sounds very cool -- but it's also an important decision point.  At the
> moment, Krita doesn't contain any X specific code -- in contrast with
> Karbon, for instance -- and that means that it's easy to get it to run on,
> say, OS X. Do we go down that road -- or do we keep ifdefs?

I think we should keep any platform-specific code in ifdefs, unless we come up
with something that really demands limiting it to one platform, and that
would have to be something major. Otherwise we should aim to enhance features
where possible, but always have standard Qt as our base level.

After looking into the event code, I've found that it's also easy to stop
mouse move events being thrown away when drawing can't keep up with the
movement - something you talked about in a message in the list. I've quickly
hacked that in and it does make a big difference.

Adrian