Sub-pixel positioning

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Tue Mar 16 20:26:49 CET 2004

On Tuesday 16 March 2004 21:02, Roger Larsson wrote:

> A non tiled format here would simplify other stuff later...

On the other hand, tiles really help with undo/redo and memory management. The
thing is to hide them as well as possible. Krita used to have a non-tiled
image buffer, and it didn't pan out. When looking at other raster apps, it's
pretty clear that the Gimp uses tiles, and I have a strong suspicion that
Photoshop does so, too. It's just a matter of finding a formula that allows
efficient pixel-messing while keeping the tiles.

> But I do not think that all tools really gains anything by precomputing a
> dab.

Not all tools -- but when you have a tool that basically composes a brush
image/mask with the existing layer, using a temporary layer has the advantage
of being able to be bitBlted using all the existing composite ops. The Gimp
uses temporary layers, but can paint directly onto the layer as well. But
most tools use temporary layers, also because they appear to make it easier
to do subpixel positioning.

> Please try with my patch (for brushes). I have tried to fix some of the
> comments I got. Some stuff did not improve like:
> 	kis_notify_limit
> It should probably be replaced by a direct constant instead.

I will -- thanks!

--
Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.valdyas.org/fading/index.cgi