Changing the default channel depth

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Mon Mar 8 13:10:23 CET 2004

On Monday 08 March 2004 13:03, Patrick Julien wrote:
> Krita is more and more dependant on 8 bit color channels.  New code is
> simply not using constants or macros.
>
> I'm considering changing the default channel depth to 16 bits instead of 8,
> at least for CVS (i.e. non-releases).
>
> This way, if someone forgets, the code breaks immediately.

On the other hand, all new code would surely grow to be dependent on 16 bits
instead.

> Suggestions?  Flames?

Well, I would love 16 bits, since I cannot do a watercolour colourmodel in
less than 16 bits :-). On the other hand, I would like it even better if we
could just get rid of channel depth as a default: that would solve everthing
in one go. Maybe even stop having QUANTUM defined. All these constants are
image type dependent, and I think I want to put them in the image type class.

--
Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.valdyas.org/fading/index.cgi