Pressure sensitivity

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Thu Jan 22 14:22:50 CET 2004

On Thursday 22 January 2004 14:13, Patrick Julien wrote:

> This makes considerably more sense to me.

It's something that needs investigation, because it also seems necessary for a
a proper implementation of an anti-aliased brush. (There's some pretty scary
code in the Gimp to implement this -- but our brush tool isn't nearly pretty
enough now.

However, there are several concerns with using one big temporary layer that
worry me a bit:

* Creating the layer might be costly, especially if big.
* Wiping the layer between paint operations or recreating it might be costly.
* How costly is compositing only the dirty rect of the temporary layer? I
mean, is bitBlting from a section of a layer onto another layer not very
expensive?
* Memory consumption... Currently, if I paint a line along the edges of a
large canvas, only the edge tiles will get dirtied and included in the undo
list, I guess. But if I use a big overlay layer, and blt the dirty rect to
the destination layer, all tiles will get dirtied. It might be possible to
optimize this, but I don't look forward to that: that would be very
complicated.

--
Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.valdyas.org/fading/index.cgi