File format (was Re: KisKrayon gone)

Leonard Rosenthol leonardr at lazerware.com
Tue Jan 13 23:37:57 CET 2004

At 8:32 AM -0500 1/13/04, Patrick Julien wrote:
>The only thing I'm not sure about is the native
>file format.  At one point, I just wanted to use XCF,

	XCF itself is already fragmented with GIMP and FilmGIMP (or
whatever it is called this week) - PLUS both of those projects are
working on "next generation file formats" to address the known
limitations of XCF.

>the world really doesn't need yet another image file format,

	Agreed!

	Depending on the functional needs for a file format, there
are a number of good options - PSD, TIFF and PNG being at the top of
the list...

>  however, at the same time, to do
>without XML in koffice might mean that we would have to override an lose
>various features that the framework buys us.  For example, the framework uses
>KIO so we don't have to, we always see a local document no matter where it
>is, if we drop XML, we might also be dropping these features too.

	XML for binary/image data is a generally bad idea...

Leonard