KisKrayon gone

Boudewijn Rempt boud at calcifer.valdyas.org
Tue Jan 13 14:47:12 CET 2004

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, Patrick Julien wrote:

> Good, this architecture, as I originally intended should allow us to absorb
> all of Gimp's resources.

I think it does, but the realization dawned only very gradually. I first thought
why it would be a good idea to duplicate the file-loading code in QImage. And then
I suddenly knew -- Gimp patterns. Gradients are next, I suppose, and palettes
perhaps. And the new pipe brushes, but for that I might need to expand the KisBrush
API a bit.

> The only thing I'm not sure about is the native
> file format.  At one point, I just wanted to use XCF, the world really
> doesn't need yet another image file format, however, at the same time, to do
> without XML in koffice might mean that we would have to override an lose
> various features that the framework buys us.  For example, the framework uses
> KIO so we don't have to, we always see a local document no matter where it
> is, if we drop XML, we might also be dropping these features too.

I'm not sure about that -- but I don't think that we need to limit ourselves
to XCF. I don't know how extensible it is. We can load and save XCF, that's
nice enough for now.

> > But the brush tool still doesn't work like it should.
>
> I still haven't looked at it, I still want to get my clipboard work in at some
> point :).

I won't stop you.