Patch that speed things up (brain dump)

Roger Larsson roger.larsson at norran.net
Sat Feb 28 02:39:07 CET 2004

On Friday 27 February 2004 13.38, Patrick Julien wrote:
> On February 27, 2004 07:33 am, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > On Friday 27 February 2004 13:27, Patrick Julien wrote:
> > > Before you do this, what Krita really needs is to use X shared memory
> > > when it's on a local display.
> > >
> > > If you consider that it's still not using Xsm, I don't consider Krita
> > > slow, no.
> >
> > But that's only useful for the actual displaying of the rendered image,
> > isn't it? And using X11 Xshm directly makes it harder to port Krita to Qt
> > for OS X, I think. But I'll take a look at Pixie and some other apps to
> > see how this is done.
>
> Yes, only for rendering, but I would think that is we're krita is slow, not
> on the composing of tiles.  Tile memory could be Xsm.

My patch fixes the X side of the problem - it is not any longer the
interaction with X that makes it slow. (note that it was not the bitBlt
changes that made the biggest impact!)

It is rather the amount of work necessary for each stroke.
That is why large brushes with short distance is the problem.

[Another option for drawing would be to use OpenGL :-)
OpenEXR uses it for its example programs.]

/RogerL

--
Roger Larsson
Skellefteå