Selections

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Tue Aug 24 08:50:17 CEST 2004

On Tuesday 24 August 2004 00:09, Adrian Page wrote:

> Another option is to 'apply' the selection to the filled paint device by
> multiplying its alpha values by the selection's 'alpha' values. Unselected
> pixels will be set to zero alpha, fully selected will retain their full
> alpha, and partially selected will have their alpha decreased
> proportionally. Then you can just composite as normal without the
> compositing code needing to know anything about selections.

Wouldn't it be more efficient to loop through the selection parallel to the
creation of the fill instead of first looping to create the fill, then
looping to apply the selection, then looping to compose?

> If the selection is only being used to restrict the pixels that will be
> changed by the filter operation, then you would still want the unselected
> pixels to be taken into account when calculating the output pixels. It's a
> bit of an unusual situation to think about though, so it all depends on the
> specific details.

Maybe a setting then.

I'll get back to work -- I hope to have some more time this week. The past
weeks were quite busy at work & home, but the kids are back to school and the
away team is happy with the new network component, so I should have time for
Krita now :-).

Ps. I forgot... The actions done to extend/shrink a selection need to be
undoable, too.