How to begin ?

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Wed Aug 11 11:18:10 CEST 2004

(Accidentally got sent only to Michael -- my new KMail has some problems with
my old filters)

On Wednesday 11 August 2004 10:30, you wrote:

> There is a chapter about interpolation in two or more dimensions in
> "Numerical Recipes" which also covers bicubic interpolation. I will be on
> vacation from tomorrow to sunday, maybe I will find some time to read this.
> Which files in the source of the GIMP are the relevant ones for bicubic
> interpolation? Do you by chance have them on-hand and can mail them to me?
> Then I could take them with me on my trip.

I can't find them right now: the Gimp's source is a bit of a maze :-(. I have
attached two files from Qt's source that implement something called
smoothscale.

An interesting link might be:
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2vrva/design.html
http://www.sgi.com/grafica/interp/ (nice website, this, must read myself
this evening).

You might also like to contact Bart Coppens, I believe he is actually studying
something with computer graphics at a university in Belgium -- he might have
access to better materials.

> I saw that there are dialog boxes to resize or scale an image or an layer,
> but they are doing nothing, currently. There is also some code in
> kis_paint_device to scale an image. Is this code actually working?

I'm not sure about scaling layers, but scaling complete images does work,
after a fashion. The code in kis_paint_device is very simple: it's a basic
matrix transform without any antialiasing or sampling or whatever.

> Is the work on the iterators finished?

No :-(. Casper and Cyrille aren't quite agreed, and Casper is working on
something. Cyrille's line/pixel iterators will stay. Even if we might change
the implementation, you can use the API.

> > I work in the checked out code for Krita -- changing the files in the
> > result of 'cvs co koffice'. If you haven't got KDE cvs commit access, you
>
> O.K., I thought there is some fancier method like checking out the files
> from the local cvs copy and checking them in again, so that you can easily
> the result of cvs co koffice will do, I guess.

What I try to remember to do before a big change is make a tarball of a
known-good state, and unpack that when I have messed up.

--
Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.valdyas.org/fading/index.cgi

--
Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.valdyas.org/fading/index.cgi