How to begin ?

Michael Thaler michael.thaler at physik.tu-muenchen.de
Wed Aug 11 10:30:11 CEST 2004

Hi Boudewijn,

> Not really. I've found few books that specifically deal with 2D algorithms,
> and I must be reading the wrong journals. So what I know, I know from the
> source of the Gimp and websites like
> http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/colour/bicubic/. I notice that
> applications like Photoshop offer a choice between a 'fast' and a
> 'best' (where best is described as bicubic) scaling, but for the life of
> me, I have never been able to discover any difference in performance,
> although the difference in quality is clear.

There is a chapter about interpolation in two or more dimensions in
"Numerical Recipes" which also covers bicubic interpolation. I will be on
vacation from tomorrow to sunday, maybe I will find some time to read this.
Which files in the source of the GIMP are the relevant ones for bicubic
interpolation? Do you by chance have them on-hand and can mail them to me?
Then I could take them with me on my trip.

I saw that there are dialog boxes to resize or scale an image or an layer,
but they are doing nothing, currently. There is also some code in
kis_paint_device to scale an image. Is this code actually working?

Is the work on the iterators finished?

> I work in the checked out code for Krita -- changing the files in the
> result of 'cvs co koffice'. If you haven't got KDE cvs commit access, you

O.K., I thought there is some fancier method like checking out the files from
the local cvs copy and checking them in again, so that you can easily go back
to the previous version in case something breaks. But working on the result
of cvs co koffice will do, I guess.

Greetings,
Michael