krita overview

Boudewijn Rempt boud at calcifer.valdyas.org
Mon Oct 13 11:31:38 CEST 2003

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003, Michael Thaler wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I spend a lot of time at the weekend to read through krita's code. I
> wrote a pretty long and detailed overview about various krita classes
> and their functions. It is by no means complete and I did only try to
> understand the most basic krita classes and some things I did not
> understand at all, but nevertheless this might actually be usefull.
> You can find my overview here:
>
> http://www.physik.tu-muenchen.de/~mthaler/krita_overview.txt

Nice -- looks a lot like what I've been doing in the past few weeks,
though. I've created an umbrello class diagram of Krita's core -- maybe
that's useful, too.

http://www.valdyas.org/~boud/krita.xmi

I already posted my equivalent of your overview on this mailing list - go
to the archives if you want to compare notes, I'd say.

> I would really like to comment the code itself and then create a nice
> documentation using doxygen. This will help me and other people to
> understand the code more easily.

I did send you the patch, didn't I? I've already added a lot of comments.
I'll ask for a cvs account again, so I can commit what I've been doing.

> For now I think about commenting the classes and member functions in
> the header files. Should I just sent the header files with the
> comments to this list?

Well, I'd like to see what you think of things -- and perhaps Patrick can
correct any misconceptions before they end up in cvs :-).

> I would also like to code the missing parts to mark the tiles as
> clean/dirty. This is probably not too hard to do and it is definitely
> needed to code freehand tools.

Why would that be necessary? I mean, I've alreade coded a freehand tool
and it works just fine with what there is. But if you want to work on the
low-level tile code, that's great, because I'm not interested in that, and
there are bound to be bugs still. If you know your way around, you can fix
them :-). I'm currently working on porting the real brush tool to
KisPainter, and reworking the user interface. That means that I'm mostly
messing with KisPainter.

> I still want to make paintworks working with KisLayer, KisPainter and
> all other necessary classes. paintworks already has a nice set of
> filters and if I get them working with KisLayer and KisPainter it will
> probably be easy to port them to krita. I think this is also good for
> me to get some more experience with painting apps and to learn some
> more advanced C++ stuff (And I also want to read the Gang of Four book
> at some point;-).

I'd really start with that right now, before trying to work out what
Patrick intended with his design.