Krita UI and tool interaction

Patrick Julien freak at codepimps.org
Sun Oct 12 12:49:04 CEST 2003

On October 12, 2003 10:30 am, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> I've tried to make an even better brush today, and I kind of failed because
> I didn't know how some things were intended to work after the redesign. I
> know most of the painting code should be moved from the tool to the painter
> (even though I particularly don't agree with that idea -- makes plugin
> tools much more restricted in scope)

Why?  The same code appeared over and over again in plugins, not only, but the
idea of centralizing in KisPainter doesn't actually prevent you from actually
what you are talking about...

You see, I believe tools should be adapters since they are only present a
particular algorithm to the user, but most of the time, that algorithm is
needed in many situations, however, a common tool interface probably isn't
the best way to interact with such services if your using C++.

> -- but who should get the brush shape,
> the pattern, the colour? The tool, or the painter.

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you're asking me here.

> And should either get it from KisView, or was a signal-slot connection
> between the resource selection pane and the party responsible for using the
> resource intended?

> Finally -- where do the tools get their icons from? For the life of me, I
> cannot figure that out...

It's in there, it's when creating a KAction.