m_subject

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Wed Dec 10 21:35:52 CET 2003

On Friday 21 November 2003 01:30, Patrick Julien wrote:

> I do not use data inheritance for all the same reasons I don't use global
> variables.  I understand why this was necessary to add them to C++ in the
> first place, see "The Design and Evolution of C++" for a rational, but it
> doesn't mean I use it under normal circumstances.

Okay -- I'll keep this in mind while coding. I've never seen much harm in
inheriting data, as long as the inheritance hierarchy is shallow -- but then
again, I'm more used to Python where the whole idea of what constitutes a
class is much more fluid.

> Of course, it makes you wonder why more modern languages even support this
> feature in the first place :)

Perhaps because in languages like Java (although I'm not going to defend that
language as 'modern' or Python classes are objects in their own right. But
that's just a guess.

Anyway, I was only scanning previous mails to find that hint on how to
implement undo/redo for the brush tool, and then I found I hadn't noticed
this mail before.

--
Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.valdyas.org/index2.html