[kgraphviewer-devel] Hi and things to do

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Fri Apr 9 03:42:52 CEST 2010

Hello everybody!

Some of you might now me from my contributions to Kate/KDevelop. I recently
started using KGraphViewer in Massif-Visualizer [1] and started patching it so
it can cope with my usecase (esp. optimizations to make it work with huge call
graphs).

I wonder what you guys are up to? What is still required? Anything you plan to
implement in future?

Here is an unsorted list of things that are still suboptimal in my eyes:

# KPart Integration

I created the public interface that can be used by others that use the KPart
but need more than the default KPart interface gives us. I think we should
make sure it has everything that we could possibly return, and esp. the
signals and slots in the KPart itself should be as many as possible. My
experience with Kate interfaces is: Better more than less. I - as a user -
hate to cope with different versions of an interface. Yet it's still a
"solution" if we forget anything.

Still, I'd like your feedback. Esp. from Sandro, what is required to get your
ControlflowGraph plugin up and running? Just a stable release? Btw.: Any plans
to finish the work you put into it? :P

# Code cleanup

Don't get me wrong: The code is mostly pretty good. But still there are parts
where I have the impression that you, Gael, wanted to get something working
instead of caring about having a "proper" solution. That's not a bad thing for
a first release, esp. considering how well it works. But there are really many
parts in the code that could use a cleanup / refactoring / optimization.

# GraphicsView Cache

I notice that none of the graphicsview items have a cache property set,
shouldn't we use at least the ItemCoordinateCache? We should really check
whether that improves things (I hope so) and use it where possible.

# Unit Tests

There are no tests at all. Could we add at least a few?

# Library VS QProcess

Why can a graph be created by both, Library call and QProcess dot execution?
In my eyes only one should be required and supported. And I'd opt for the
former since it's probably better performance wise. Gael, could you comment on
this? You also said that I commited some change that breaks one but works in
the other :-S I still have to fix that...

# Stable release

KGraphViewer works, performs ok and has the most required features. What about
a (first?) stable release? I'd appreciate that since it would mean I could
release a first version of massif-visualizer.

# Rest

That's it for the moment. If I remember other things that should get done,
I'll write more mails. Oh and I'd appreciate it if you could tell me who you
are so I have an idea to whom I'm talking :)
--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de
http://milianw.de