[Kget] Error handling in KDE 4.5

Matthias Fuchs mat69 at gmx.net
Wed Jan 27 23:49:02 CET 2010

Am Mittwoch 27 Januar 2010 23:07:24 schrieb Lukas Appelhans:
> Hey!
>
> As anybody knows our error handling in KDE 4.4 is far from optimal... we
>  leave the plugins pretty  much alone handling those errors (and not every
>  plugin reports much...).
>
> For 4.5 we should improve the situation...
> So my idea was to add some setError(Job::Error, const QString
>  &errorMessage); to the transfer-class, which would handle the notification
>  + give solutions on how to solve the error...

I completely agree on that, though imo we should have multiple setError
methods, e.g. one for many files. The Metalink-plugin e.g. waits until all
files are verified and then shows a dialog that lists all files where
verification failed. That is to avoid showing multiple dialogs to the user.
So another method could be
setError(Job::Error, QList<KUrl> affectedFiles, const QString &errorMessage);

> For example...
> our transfer does setError(Job::DiskFull, i18n("Your harddisk is running
>  out of memory"));. With that information we automagically show the error
>  in the GUI and show an option to 1) move the transfer's files to somewhere
>  else and 2) to continue downloading... (+ we could detect automagically if
>  the user removes files from the disk and resume the transfer).

Hmm imo it should not be the transfers task to care about the disk capacity,
that should happen 1) before the transfer is started 2) after totalSize is
emitted 3) periodically while transfers are running. Though then would still
be the problem of transfers that create the files with the totalSize ...
So maybe we could have a class that checks for the size and the transfers do
that themselves in case 1) (here the new transferdialog) and in case 2) while
case 3) would be handled elsewhere.