[Kget] The "New Download" dialog

Lukas Appelhans l.appelhans at gmx.de
Sat May 30 00:41:43 CEST 2009

Am Freitag 29 Mai 2009 22:50:09 schrieb Carsten Pfeiffer:
> Hiya,
Hey!

> I've got some comments regarding the "New Download" dialog (screenshot
> attached). I'm wondering if this is really an improvement over simply
> showing a filedialog for saving.
>
> 1) it shows a lot of information (lots of labels, buttons, two lineedits),
> it takes a while to read that information and find what exactly one can do
> with it.
I think it's pretty clear to the user... (at least I think so...)
The CheckBox is gone in trunk btw...

> 2) what's the point of showing the source url? Very often this is a very
> long url without much information. On the attached screenshot, you see that
> the url is even cut off. Wouldn't it suffice to show the source url
> shortened (strip stuff from the middle) in the titlebar (e.g. "Download
> http://www.kde.org/../kget.tar.gz")
+1

> The only reason I can imagine for showing the url would be if it was
> unclear to the user, how the new download was created. But if the user
> deliberately downloads a file with konqueror or through drag&drop, he
> shouldn't need that information again.
In D'n'D case yeah, although I think it's nice to have a confirmation that
exactly that stuff is going to be downloaded...

> 3) why is the source url editable?
To paste another url instead? (although that point is discussable yeah, I
don't care much about this...)

> 4) for setting the target directory/filename, it takes an extra to click to
> open the file dialog.
Mmh, well doesn't matter much to me...

> Maybe it's just me, but somehow this dialog "feels wrong" to me.
Feels absolutely perfect to me... ;)

> For comparison, I think firefox by default does neither ask for a filename
> nor for a directory when starting a download (the easy mode). You can
> configure it to show a filedialog, though.
I think we shouldn't compare ourselves to Firefox... I HATE the download
manager of it...

Lukas