[Kget] kget and libbtcore

Modestas Vainius modestas at vainius.eu
Fri May 2 20:19:50 CEST 2008

Hello,

2008 m. May 2 d., Friday, Urs Wolfer rašė:
> Why is embedding libbtcore in KGet not an option? This is the suggested way
> by the KGet developers (that's why we have made an svn external: libbtcore
> will be included in the KDE release tarballs.)
Because of code duplication. E.g. if there is a security bug in libbtcore,
both KTorrent and kget (i.e. whole kdenetwork) need to be fixed (the same
code) instead of just one library (more work for the security team). This
situation is very discouraged in Debian and, I think, other distributions.

> We cannot guarantee binary compatibilty with libbtcore at any time. If you
> take that version that is "embedded" with the svn external into KGet, it
> should work. (as Lukas already said: at the moment KTorrent trunk; when 3.1
> has been branched the 3.1 branch (this is at least planned for KDE 4.1).
That's fine. Now that I know that kget is going to need 3.1.x forever, so I'll
simply package libbtcore on its own. If Debian Lenny is going to ship with
KDE 4.1, it will probably also ship with KTorrent 3.1.x and libbtcore 3.1.x
so there is will be no code duplication with this approach. I would be
grateful if you added an option (disabled by default, marked as advanced) to
the respective CMakeLists.txt of kget bittorent plugin to enable compilation
against external libbtcore.

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas at vainius.eu>