[Kget] speed limiting on kio based transfers

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon Oct 8 12:17:34 CEST 2007

Manolo Valdes wrote:
>I've been working on speed limitation feature on kio-slaves. my approach
> is working but i'm getting bad checksums on the downloaded file.
>
>the idea is:
>
>using de resume() and suspend() kio funtions. i make a on off duty cycle
> that keeps the transfer speed under the setted value.
>
>please check the trunk//kdenetwork/kget/core/speedlimiter.cpp
> implementation
>
>so i'm requesting some help finding why i got the checksum errors.

You probably are dropping some chunks. This is a problem that I thought I
had fixed -- I introduced it with the new KIO::Connection.

You're probably hitting more corner cases I hadn't thought of. The
resuming/suspending is really contradictory to a QTcpSocket-based
transmission -- even though it's successfully implemented for
BitTorrentclients.

>we (the kget developers)  are trying to add this feature on the kde4.0
>release. ;)

Unfortunately, KIO is still pending another switch to QTcpSocket (in
KIO::TCPSlaveBase) as well as making it have a full event loop.
Resuming/suspending might have no effect in some ioslaves after this
switch.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358