[Kget] Would like to help this project via Google Summer of Code

Andrei Mihaila andrei.mihaila at gmail.com
Fri May 12 00:17:24 CEST 2006

                Hi,

     My name is Andrei Mihaila. I submitted
an application for Google Summer of Code this year.
The application was about a download manager with
a KDE GUI.

     I would like to work on KGet2 (thus making it the project
that I participate at inside Google Summer of Code 2006).
In fact I would be honored to work on KGet2, if possible.

     I have a few ideas about extending KGet. I looked
a bit at the mailing list and found out that you are
working on features such as multithreaded download
and metalinks. Multithreaded download is something that
I also had in mind. This could mean downloading segments
of the same file concurrently (from the same location or from
different mirrors). I also thought about searching for alternate
mirrors. I think an intelligent search could very much increase
the download speed. When I say intelligent I refer to using
artificial intelligence algorithms to optimize the search.
For example the search history could be used to guess the next
searches and index certain ftp/http sites in advance. This would
prove handy to people who download distro packages for example.
Also the ability to download a file from different locations
using different protocols would be nice. As I read on the
mailing list, this would require a lot of changes in the architecture
and consequently a lot of work. I could help with this! There are
also a few features that could be implemented in the spirit
of KDE4, such as a new sort of user interface, more innovative and
even easier to use. As someone pointed out in one email
the interface is very important and should be very well thought of.
I was convinced about this at the course on
human-computer interaction that I attended to this semester.
You can consider these just suggestions. I would do any of
the tasks required by the project, regardless if connected
to one of the ideas above.

     I can't say that I am a very experienced programmer, but
I am very enthusiastic about programming. I am a 3rd year
student at the Faculty of Computer Science in Iasi, Romania.
I major in C/C++, Java. I am a fervent open-source supporter.
I am really passioned about computer networks and writing
code that involves using computer networks. I am a hard
working man and I like to learn new things especially when
it comes to Linux (I'm a Linux addict). All of the code I've
written so far is open-source and I would like to keep it that way.

Thanks for reading,
Andrei Mihaila