[Kget] kget sidebar

Dario Massarin nekkar at libero.it
Tue Aug 9 12:13:49 CEST 2005

Maybe it's better to discuss about this on the kget mailinglist (Urs, are you
subscribed at it?)

On Monday 08 August 2005 17:59, you wrote:
> On Saturday 06 August 2005 20:43, you wrote:
> > As you already know I'm not happy with our sidebar and I would like to
> > import the kdereview/metabar if possible.
>
> OK, I'll have a look...(I know metabar, I use it :) ) I think it should be
> possible with my actual knowledge. How do you think should it look like?
> Here my conception:
>  ________________
>
> |Downloads            |
> |  Group1               |
> |  Group2               |
> |  Group3               |
> |  ...                       |
> |----------------------------|
> |Finished                |
> |________________|

Yes. It could be something like this, I think.

But maybe it's better to first do some brainstorming, to see what comes out..
The first question we should ask ourselves is:

"Why should someone use a sidebar? Which useful functions should it provide to
the user?"

Let's try to answer to this with something I have in mind right now:
1) In my opinion the biggest advantage of a sidebar is the possibility to
start and stop a group without having to seach for it in the mainview.
That said from the sidebar we should be able to start and stop a group.

2) Another useful application is the possibility to see the running downloads
of a group under the group itself (something like the actual sidebar does).
This gives a brief overview about what's going on. When we start a group we
can see the effects of that with a couple of running transfers appering under
the group.

3) It could be useful also to have contestual informations about each group.
For example clicking on a group we could see a "speed", a "remaining time"
and a "configure" field.

4) And what about some general statistics on kget and the global downloading
speed?

5) ... (fill in with your ideas)

Note that I'm not thinking about possible implementations problems. I think
that first we should have exactly in mind how it should look like, and only
in a second time we should think about the implementation.
While you try to make your system working with kget, you could focus on the
sidebar design (with mockups, for example).

> But: First I have to solve my memory access problem... I downgraded gcc
> (gcc-3.4.4). But I get still this annoying error on my machine. I don't
> know why... Probably the problem is something else. At another computer I
> can compile and run it without problems. Really strange. But I'm hopefully
> to find a solution ;) .

I hope this too.
Did you compile with the same compiler flags on both machines? And what
happens if you run kget under gdb? And, to be extremely sure about it, did
you try with an empty main() in main.cpp?

Bye,
	Dario