[Kget] Re: bittorrent plugin

Dario Massarin nekkar at libero.it
Tue Apr 19 14:08:44 CEST 2005

> On Sunday 17 April 2005 17:19, Felix Berger wrote:
>
> I just commited the bittorrent code after making it work with the current
> framework.

Really great news! Many thanks! :-)

> > 1) In order to make kget use the bittorrent plugin you should make the
> > future TransferBittorrentFactory::createTransfer(...) return a non-null
> > pointer only if the given .torrent file is local. Otherwise it should
> > return a null pointer, since the file isn't local and it should be
> > downloaded with other plugins, such as the TransferKio one.
>
> For now it was easier doing the comparatively small torrent file download
> myself, since the code was already there. We can disable that in the future
> if it makes sense.

Ok.

> > 2) Remember to make the plugin rank (see
> > kget/core/plugin/kget_plugin.desktop) lower (we give it higher priority)
> > than that of the TransferKio one.
>
> I set it to 255, not sure which way it is, but it seemed to work :-)

Kget tries first the plugins with lower rank. In this case you have been
lucky, I think, since 255 is the same rank of the transferKio plugin (if I
remember correctly).
Maybe it would be better to set it to, let's say, 254.

> Resuming does not work correctly and I should point out that the library is
> gpl'd and not LGPL, don't know if that's of any concern. Feel free to play
> with code and change it according to your needs, I won't be able to work on
> it at least for the next couple of weeks. But I'll still be able to answer
> questions, so don't hesitate to ask.

Ok. I think I'll be busy too :-( but I hope to do something on kget this weekend.

Felix, in the meantime would you like to think about a bittorrent "detailed widget"
that will show its status in details? It shouldn't be too big (we should accurately
define its size), maybe something like 400x300 (or even a little bigger).
It could be enough to start with a mockup.

This becouse in the future I would like to have a "show details" entry in the transfer's
popup menu. This will open a new background tab showing the details of the transfer.

> To make it work I had to link against:
>
> libkgetbittorrent_la_LIBADD = ... ../../core/libcore.la \
> 	../../conf/libconf.la
>
> This may be fine for plugins being developed inside of kget, but you should
> start using more unique names, since the libraries will have to be installed
> in /usr/lib at some point to allow external plugin development. Providing
> only one library a plugin developer would have to link against would also
> make sense for now.

Ok. I'll think about it.

Many many thanks again!

Cheers,