D29526: Thumbnails: make thumbnail generation dpr-aware

Stefan BrĂ¼ns noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Sep 8 14:29:52 BST 2020

bruns added a comment.

  In D29526#676402 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D29526#676402>, @meven wrote:

  > In D29526#676386 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D29526#676386>, @bruns wrote:
  >
  > > For all but text the DPR is completely irrelevant, large at 1 is identical to normal at 2.
  >

  > Yes and that's up to thumbnail creators to decide. To take advantage of this, we would need to introduce some ThumbnailCreator type that would say whether or not generated thumbnail might be influenced by DPR (i.e) text. That would necessitate change the ThumbnailCreator API.

  No, just add a "DisplayPixelRatioDependent=true"  key to the service data of the thumbnailer.

  > But the implementation will stay a lot simpler if we don't this level of complexity and adding will have a limited interest. Storing twice large at 1 would happen only when a user would change DPR, thumbnails cache size limit will stay enforced.

  You are changing every single thumbnailer implementation, although the results are binary identical for normal at 2 and large at 1. And that are only the thumbnailers in kio-extra.

  And on top of all this, the only thumbnailer which is DPR dependent (text) does not even cache the data on disk.

REPOSITORY
  R320 KIO Extras