D28745: Skip caching thumbnails on encrypted filesystems

Marcin Gurtowski noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Sep 2 15:15:21 BST 2020

marcingu added a comment.

  In D28745#676303 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D28745#676303>, @bruns wrote:

  > Second, I have asked for a full context diff, or even better moving this to invent.kde.org, but @marcingu keeps ignoring this.

  Sorry about that. It got lost under all suggestions. I'll post the next change to invent.kde.org and link it here.

  In D28745#676303 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D28745#676303>, @bruns wrote:

  > @marcingu - have you even verified this works? - I am quite sure it does not, neither for fuse.encfs, fuse.cryfs (as used by Vaults), nor for any LUKS encrypted devices.

  I double checked and I believe there's space for discussion with more involved developers/designers.
  The code behaves in expected way (thumbnails are not saved), but not because `usage` for those devices is `UsageType::Encrypted`, but rather they cannot be treated as `StorageVolume` (line :728).
  This isn't my area of expertise and I don't know what behavior should be expected from different kinds of StorageAccess devices.
  Maybe if we got broader information about it, we might prepare some tests as well, so we don't run into problems with this code in the future.

REPOSITORY
  R320 KIO Extras