D27902: smb: figure out the best host to use for the UDS_URL

Harald Sitter noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Mar 25 13:00:36 GMT 2020

sitter added a comment.

  I've actually had a better idea! Well kinda and it may be trickier to do.

  We could move the resolution dance to actual resolution time so it stops having impact on discovery.
  i.e. we just always use `"smb://" + m_prettyName + ".local"` as UDS_URL for discovery. Should the user then attempt to enter that directory we'll get a listDir call and we call smbc_opendir(), if that fails we simply redirect to the url without .local, if that fails we give up. This is in fact more in line with how windows does it anyway, it too will only resolve when you try to list a server, not when it gets discovered.
  Obvious caveat is that either prettyname or prettyname.local must be resolvable as we cannot fall back to the IP anymore. But again, that's more in line with windows.

  Thoughts?

REPOSITORY
  R320 KIO Extras