D27372: smb: disable mode bits getting forwarded to KIO

Harald Sitter noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Feb 13 15:28:32 GMT 2020

sitter created this revision.
sitter added a reviewer: ngraham.
Herald added projects: Dolphin, Frameworks.
Herald added subscribers: kfm-devel, kde-frameworks-devel.
sitter requested review of this revision.

REVISION SUMMARY
  mode bits in libsmb_stat are fairly cheaply constructed. file and directory
  qualification is alright beyond that it is a bit of a shambles.
  specifically +W is set iff the DOS attribute READONLY isn't set, but
  that attribute doesn't mean what we think it means, at least not on
  NT+ systems. see exhaustive comment.

  long story short: we cannot represent mode bits accurately because NT's
  access controls simply do not map to posix mode bits. therefore I'm
  removing the mode setting for the udsentry, making all entries effectively
  writable.

  whether an entry truly is writable is hard to say anyway. specifically
  because SMB+NTFS have independent ACLs. so, the SMB ACL may allow a
  given user or group to do something, that doesn't mean they'll also
  have permissions on a file system level.

  BUG: 414482
  FIXED-IN: 19.12.3

TEST PLAN
  previously not writable shares as described in the bug report are now writable.
  permission dialog looks a bit meh now, it wasn't really designed around not knowing
  what the access situation is. gnome simply shows a "dunno what permissions we have" label
  instead of everything, that seems like a reasonable approach

REPOSITORY
  R320 KIO Extras

BRANCH
  bug414482