T9895: Improving single-click / creation of contextual action toolbars

Felix Ernst noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Dec 22 16:53:05 GMT 2020

felixernst added a comment.

  > - Currently those action areas seem to be applied more widely (at least judging from what was recently added to Konsole), so this seems like a good thing to introduce. Making it contextual is even better I guess.

  Yes, and also header and footer areas are used more often so this does follow a general trend but I think this is a good way forward even if they weren't.

  > - Not sure how relevant the original topic of this task still is, but if I read it correctly, it was suggesting to have a dedicated button to enable a "selection mode" to improve single click experience. Both approaches can be implemented independently, though I guess.

  I added selection buttons to my mockup to stay on topic but I am really mostly here to discuss the action area. Yes, maybe it's best to discuss them somewhat independently because that's already complicated enough imo. But I think we can do this here for now.

  I used to be like that mainly because I hardly use its features. If we'll be able to show the correct size of the selected items (T13083: Dolphin: improvements to directory size counting <https://phabricator.kde.org/T13083>), the status bar text together with the total current storage capacity information will be of great assistance for basic file copying between storage devices. For users that don't do that a lot it might make sense to make the bottom area hidable but let's try to figure out the default appearance first.

  > - In general, when making the options appear this might lead to content being either hidden or moved, probably this is worse when placing it at the top.

  Yes, this together with the arguments I mentioned above is why I think putting it at the bottom is better. Another argument is that one shouldn't pile up all actions at close proximity unless they share a logical connection. Putting the actions that deal with the currently selected items to the bottom and away from the more general navigation-controlling actions which are currently on the toolbar makes it easier for users to mentally group the use-cases for what they are seeing.

TASK DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/T9895