T9895: Improving single-click / creation of contextual action toolbars

Felix Ernst noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun Dec 20 14:14:25 GMT 2020

felixernst added a comment.

  The idea of a contextual action area seems very promising to me. I think we need to make sure though that the area is hidden most of the time. Otherwise users who are happy with Dolphin's current UI will be bothered by the "unnecessary" addition. We need to make sure that we can have the area enabled by default or its use for non-expert users will be close to zero.

  That isn't really all that difficult to achieve because we already have the toolbar for actions which are supposed to be available regardless of context. For specific contexts the new action area is used.

  I would suggest to have this area below the view. This seems like a sensible decision to me because this way we have the view and its state which defines the context above the contextual area. The user would be aware of the context first and then sees the recommended actions for the current context. Another advantage is that the status bar text frames the context in words which makes it act somewhat like an information that explains why these actions are recommended.

  These mockups should make more obvious what I mean:

  M178: Contextual Action Area <https://phabricator.kde.org/M178>

  Different from the current status bar, it would be better if this area would not appear twice in split view mode for one because of space concerns and because it greatly simplifies implementation I believe.

TASK DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/T9895