D29178: [dolphin] : Mac integration

René J.V. Bertin noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Apr 27 09:51:48 BST 2020

rjvbb marked 2 inline comments as done.
rjvbb added inline comments.

INLINE COMMENTS

> elvisangelaccio wrote in dolphintabwidget.cpp:337
> Why is this needed? Can't we fix `KIO::CommandLauncherJob` to also make it work on MacOS? Or at least fix its documention to recommend the usage of `CoreApplication::applicationFilePath()` ?

I don't see how we can fix the CommandLauncherJob; how is it to know that it needs to run applicationFilePath() instead of the provided command string? Or how is it to know, even on Mac, that a given command cannot be run as a POSIX executable but needs to be started through LaunchServices, or that it needs to dig out the "BundleExecutable"?

Not to mention the fact that LaunchServices will launch *a* copy of a given application if you only specify the name and not a full path. That's worse than "the first hit on the $PATH will be launched".

Using `applicationFilePath()` here works around all that and has the added benefit that it ensures on all platforms that the newly opened window really behaves the same way as the existing window (as far as it's supposed to). That seems so useful to me that I would have presented it in a dedicated PR if the change hadn't been required for this patch.

As to fixing the documentation: I think that anyone developing on/for Mac (and esp. working on KDEis intimately aware of the fact that there are 2 ways to start applications, and what that implies. You'd need to fix the documentation for all APIs that can start applications.

REPOSITORY
  R318 Dolphin