D28745: Skip caching thumbnails on encrypted filesystems

Marcin Gurtowski noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Apr 15 16:08:44 BST 2020

marcingu added a comment.

  In D28745#648036 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D28745#648036>, @meven wrote:

  > This is gonna have an hefty toll on perf as it will add a `getmntent` syscall to every thumbnail generation.
  >  Using `Solid::Device::listFromType` would leverage Solid always up-to-date (using events rather thane sysalls) device cache.
  >  I am not sure in the end this is preferable though.

  Unfortunately I'm new to the project and have no idea what would be the best way of checking if path is on encrypted filesystem.

  One thing I could do is to move check into thumbForDirectory and transfer it through drawSubThumbnail and createSubThumbnail. Which will run the check once per directory, instead of running it up to four times.
  The big downside however is that we no longer will be able to skip the check if thumbnail already exist, so that likely would be slower in most cases.

REPOSITORY
  R320 KIO Extras