D28513: smb: use prettyname.local for hostname of wsdiscoveries

Harald Sitter noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Apr 3 13:11:08 BST 2020

sitter added a comment.

  Stable was the plan, yes.

  I've thought of some complications with this approach though. Actually a combination of two

  1. the .local match also applies to dnssd
  2. all linux VMs I've checked wouldn't be able to resolve netbios names natively as the relevant modules are simply not loaded by default. meaning the netbios fallback will never be hit because 'foo' cannot ever be resolved (well, unless the user manually enables nmbd or lllmnr resolution)

  to mitigate 2 we could just always fall back to netbios regardless of its resolvability, but that has the problem that we can then discover DNSSD services on bar.local have that fall back to bar and somewhat unexpected report that 'bar' was not resolvable (when in fact the intended and wanted resolution is bar.local for the DNSSD scenario). I'm not sure it's a huge problem, but it certainly irks me a bit because very practically libsmbc's resolution may be way more flexible than the regular libc/nss resolution.

  OTOH fixing both would require yet more URL hackery to carry more context from the discovery into the list call. by either making the hostname `foo.kio-discovery-wsd` instead of `foo.local` or putting the discovery method into a query `smb://foo?kio-discovery=wsd`. I find both a bit meh. but then dnssd can be entirely unaffected by any of this

REPOSITORY
  R320 KIO Extras

BRANCH
  smb-lazy-resolve